Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Starbucks and Donors Choose


I have known about Donors Choose for quite some time, and have thought the premise is fantastic.  After all, I am a teacher, right?  Prior to this summer, I had dreamt of all the projects I should submit. Unfortunately, whenever I contemplated taking action, I was daunted by the process of registering, posting, and actually figuring out exactly what I thought my kids would put to the best use.  

Fast forward to this summer, when I finally decided to submit a project.  While stalking blogs, as I often do, I saw this picture posted over at A Modern Teacher.  After the year I had last year, I knew I needed some of the Sit-or-Go Balls in my own classroom!  I jumped online, wrote up my project, put it online in early June, announced it to all my Facebook friends and let some family know about it as well.  As I anticipated, nothing happened (and that was o.k.).  There wasn't a single donation to the project, but I knew from watching the site that my circumstance wasn't unique, things do often get funded a bit later in the game.  I just needed to be patient (which is something I am not so good at).  

Well, to my astonishment, in early July I received notification from Donors Choose that a donation had been made!  Then, I received another notification informing me that my project ($450+) had been fully funded.  I immediately looked to see who had funded my entire project and was even more shocked to find out that it was none other than the Starbucks Foundation.  I don't know why or how they picked my project to fund, but I am ECSTATIC and grateful!!!!  I can't even wait to get the balls and to begin using them in the classroom.







1 comment: